Greece is sending humanitarian aid to Turkey, through the European Civil Protection Mechanism, to manage the immediate consequences of the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that hit the country in the early hours of February 6.

As announced by the Ministry of Civil Protection, by order of the Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, Greece has for the relief of the affected and to meet the needs that have arisen, sanitary and medical equipment and basic necessities such as 7,500 blankets, 1,500 beds and 500 tents which canbe used  to accommodate families, or as mobile clinics.

The first mission

The mission of the first wave of humanitarian aid to Turkey will be accompanied by the Minister of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection Christos Stylianidis and the General Secretary of Civil Protection Vassilios Papageorgiou and will depart in the next few hours from Eleftherios Venizelos Airport.

The mission is carried out following consultations with the Turkish authorities, with the assistance of the Turkish Ambassador in Athens, and in cooperation with the European Commission in the context of the activation of the European Civil Protection Mechanism.

In order to transport the material and with the aim of reaching the affected people as soon as possible, five flights will be made to the neighboring country with Aegean aircraft.

The cost of transportation

It is noted that the cost of transporting the materials to be made available will be covered by 75% by the European Civil Protection Mechanism, while the remaining 25% of the national participation will be sponsored by the Aegean airline company.

It should be noted that Greece was immediately on the side of the victims of the earthquake in Turkey, having two Search and Rescue teams that support the operations in the neighboring country from the first moment.

Ακολουθήστε τον ot.grστο Google News και μάθετε πρώτοι όλες τις ειδήσεις
Δείτε όλες τις τελευταίες Ειδήσεις από την Ελλάδα και τον Κόσμο, στον

Latest News

Πρόσφατα Άρθρα English Edition